Sunday, April 8, 2012

Trash in Japan

I love recycling, I really do. But I'm not a huge fan of getting up at 8am to do it ><

In Japan, recycling is a huge deal and very much a part of everyone's daily lives. Since Japan is an island, they can't afford to create a large number of landfills of unrecycled trash, so instead everyone recycles, which I think is pretty cool. How the trash gets sorted depends on the city you're in. In Suita, we separate 3 ways: bottles and cans go in one, recycled paper and cardboard go in another, and then most everything else is put in もえるゴミ(moerugomi), or burnable garbage. Trash is collected on Mondays, Weds, and Fridays, though sometimes you can only take out a specific kind of trash on a certain day (I just take it all out on Monday since you can take out all 3 kinds on that day). And you HAVE to take it out between the hours of 7am-9am... my least favorite part of the trash ordeal :(

The trash task seemed kind of daunting at first (since of course I didn't want to make a mistake xD) especially with what is considered burnable by Suita standards, but the Japanese students were more than willing to help me out!

Some cities do require specific bags for specific kinds of trash, but at the dorm it doesn't really matter thankfully. I don't know if it's a Suita thing or just a dorm thing, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment